On the west side of
Company on opening:
Wisbech, St Ives &
Junction Railway Cambridge
Date closed to passengers:
Date closed completely:
Company on closing:
British Rail (Eastern Region)
The track was lifted and the St. Ives platform was demolished in 2007 during the construction of the guided bus scheme. The
platform and the station building are in private hands and will not be demolished. Cambridge
OS Grid Ref:
Date of visit:
March 1976, July 1991, 19.7.2007 & 8.9.2007
Notes: At one time trains only stopped at Histon by request. The goods service was withdrawn from Histon on 18th April 1966. The station was unstaffed from 6.3.1967.
After closure Histon was the only station on the line to retain its canopy and although the main station building was sold the station remained largely intact and unaltered until 2007 with only the small waiting shelter on the St. Ives platform being demolished.
In 2004 a local campaigning group in Histon called Save our Station was been formed to restore the station and save it from demolition as proposed under the guided bus way scheme. Volunteers cleared the track bed around the station site and repaired and repainted the station buildings. Their long term plan is to see the station returned to regular rail services. This never happened the group disbanded. Eventually it was accepted there was no chance of stopping the guided busway so the local campaign to save the station building restarted with the support of local residents and Councillors (Parish, District and County).
Once it became clear that the station would eventually be demolished local residents and workers from an environmental group got permission to dismantle the crossing keepers hut which would be re-erected at a suitable location, this was completed over two weekends in August 2007.
The future of the station building is secured an will be sold back to the original owner. The canopy will definitely be partually removed but all of both the st Ives and cambridge platforms will be removed
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MARCH - CAMBRIDGE LINE
Most of the farmers' lines in the Fens were light in construction and late in completion but one line defied this pattern, the Wisbech, St Ives & Cambridge Junction Railway whose Bill passed through Parliament in 1846; the line was quickly built in an almost straight line across the Fens, opening from March to Wisbech on 3 May 1847. The southern section from to St. Ives opened on Cambridge 17th August 1847with the middle section from St Ives to March opening on 1st March 1848. The independent company was incorporated into the Eastern Counties Railway in 1848 before completion of the St. Ives - March section and later taken over by Great Eastern Railway in 1862. The GER were frustrated when Parliament aurhorised a line from March to Spalding which opened on 1st April 1867. The line had originally been conceived by the GER but approval was authorized instead to the rival Great Northern Railway. Many years of quarrelling were finally resolved on 3rd July 1879when the Spalding line and the March to St. Ives section of the to Wisbech line was vested in the GN&GE Joint Railway. Cambridge As a means of avoiding Ely, which at that period was greatly congested with traffic from six directions, the March, St Ives to route had much to recommend it. Local traffic was largely agricultural but with the opening of the Cambridge Doncasterto March line the route was busy with coal trains running from the East Midlandstowards east , these were lengthy and slow-moving but immensely profitable to the London GER. Passenger traffic was always light however, as only market towns and villages were served and there were few through trains with expresses usually using the Ely line with Ely becoming the main GER interchange station in northern . East Anglia
Somersham was the only junction station between St Ives and March with the branch line to Ramsey High Street(later Ramsey East) opening on 16th September 1889. The to March line proved reasonably popular through the first half of the 20th century but with the post war popularity of the car, passenger numbers began dropping through the 1950's. Cambridge
Despite the demise of passenger and freight traffic the line became an important diversionary route. The Flying Scotsman, the Aberdonian and the Night Capital Express have all used the line and it was also used as a trial line for new railway technology such as concrete sleepers, continuous welded rail, multiple aspect signaling (traffic light style) and for experimental rolling stock during the changeover from steam to diesel.
In the 1960's eighty trains a day were timetabled. The last working steam train passed in 1963 and as passenger traffic fell, the coal freight from the north ceased with the enforcement of the Clean Air Act. The line from St. Ives – March closed to goods traffic in 1966 and to passengers on 6th March 1967 but the service from St. Ives to Cambridge survived the Beeching Axe despite the stations (except Histon) being sited some distance from the community they served. The passenger service between and St. Ives survived until Cambridge 5th October 1970. The freight service remained open as far as Histon for seasonal deliveries of fruit to Chivers which ceased in 1983 and a second service as far as Fen Drayton was retained until 1992 because of a long term contract with the Amalgamated Road Stone Corporation of St. Ives for aggregates. In the 1970's, the train made a return trip there every work day though this had declined to once a week by the late 1980's.
There have been numerous campaigns to reopen the line and shortly after closure South Cambridgeshire District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council agreed to pay for the reinstatement of the passenger service between and St. Ives but the decision was reversed at the last minute. Cambridge
Occasional passenger charters visited the branch until the late 1980's and in 1979 The Railway Development Society organised the first of the popular 'specials' from Swavesey to promote the reopening of the line with destinations such as
Lowestoftand Christmas shopping in Stevenage; these continued until 1990 but the line was not formerly closed until 2nd August 2003. Following the final closure of the line most of the track remained in situ apart from the last few miles to St. Ives. The St. Ives bypass (A1096) which opened in 1980, was built on the course of the line from the north into St. Ives, although it just misses the site of the station, the remains of the station was cleared at this time. In 1994 the County Council put forward a proposal to purchase the land and the surviving track and restore a passenger service; this never happened. In the late 1990’s the Government launched the to Huntingdon Multi-Modal Study (CHUMMS), chiefly to address the chronic local traffic congestion. Cambridge One of the proposals was for a guided busway along most of the - St. Ives route. There was also a further proposal to reinstate the railway but this was rejected by the council who claimed that the guided busway was the only option on the table. The busway would involve replacing the track with a concrete guideway and demolition of the stations to provide car parking. Buses will travel on the guideway along the disused railway line from St. Ives to Cambridge . They will then continue through Cambridge on normal roads and rejoin the guideway at Cambridge Railway Station to travel through to Addenbrooke's Hospital and Trumpington Park & Ride. Cambridge In July 2003 a group called Cast.iron was formed putting forward a proposal to reopen the line from to Huntingdon in opposition to the proposed guided busway. They proposed to reopen the line in three stages. Initially they were hoping to reinstate a passenger service over the existing track between Cambridge and Swavesey but their long term plan was to electrify the line and extend the track back into Huntingdon with a reconnection to the East Coast Main Line providing a much-needed strategic link for local, regional, national and possibly international services for both passenger and freight traffic. Cambridge The busway scheme went before a public enquiry in 2004 and despite local opposition and the campaign to reopen the line between and St. Ives, construction started in 2007 with most of the remaining track being lifted. The busway is due to open in spring 2010. Cambridge Sources: East Anglia Railways remembered by Leslie Oppitz - Countryside Books 1989
ISBN 1 835306 040 2 & Forgotten Railways Volume 7 - East Anglia by R S Joby - David & Charles 1985 ISBN 0 7153 7312 9
Further reading: Branch Lines around March by Vic Mitchell etc. - Middleton Press 1983
ISBN 978 1 873793 09 1
Other web sites: Cast.iron - The Cambridge & St. Ives Railway Organisation.
Click here for the latest news on the guided busway scheme
Histon Station in 1959 1st edition map 1876-1886 Modern Day map Histon Station looking south east in March 1976 . Histon Station looking south east in July 1991 - note the track has been realigned away from the platform Histon Station looking south east in July 2005 Protestors demonstrating against the demolition of Histon Station on 26th May 2007 Histon Station looking south east in September 2007 This infomation was compiled cortecy of